Sunday, September 14, 2008

Stoby's, you hurt so good!

It's a funny thing, retrospect. It's the type of funny that makes your uncomfortable, but for the life of you, you just can't help but laugh. Well, today I had quite a bit of retrospective when I worked a 5 to close shift at Stoby's. What is this Stoby's, you ask, well it's a black abyss that gladly drains the soul of anyone that is unfortunate enough to work there! Oh, but it's cover is as a restaurant! I started working there the summer between my 11th and 12th years of school. It was my first job. I had been trying all summer to get one, but had no luck, until one fateful day when my Mom used her connections with one of the cooks there to help get me in the door. I was full of glee when I started, and that feeling lasted for some time. Just not forever. See, when you work somewhere for too long, and I think it's true for anyplace really, you begin to become numb. Well, numb isn't the best word, but it's close. It's like you just get into this routine that you aren't even aware of until it's too late. Well, back to my history!

I started as a dishwasher, and was one for about 9 or 10 months I'd say, if not a damn year. It wasn't until I broke my friggin' finger that I was moved over to the window and was made an official carry-out person. That lasted about half a year, when finally I was approached about getting some shifts as a waiter, and I leapt at the opportunity! From there, I worked doing both serving and carry-out until a Management spot opened up that all employees were allowed to interview for. So I took a chance and did it. To everyone's surprise, I got the gig! It was probably the best thing to have happened to me, going from measley dishwasher to an all-mighty Manager! I was proud and ready to go. However, that was when the negative aspects of Stoby's really started to shine.


It was utter chaos, and it still is! I look back and remember having to stay late and come in at times I wasn't even scheduled! It was like I didn't get the power, just the title! If I had known how much harder I would've ended up working, I wouldn't have even bothered with thinking about considering to interview! I guess that just comes with retrospect, the ability to say "What If...?" and wonder what would have come if you had went left instead of right. Everytime I work for someone, all these emotions and memories come flooding back, I don't know why I put myself through it! I lie, cause I do know. It's the people. I love'em, but not all of them, just the ones that were there when I started and have stayed on all this time. They became my friends, through the fights, parties, and all of that, some of them even became more like family. I think that dispite all the anger and hurt that come from working at Stoby's, I'll probably work for as many people as I can, for as long as I can, because that's just how much some of the people of Stoby's mean to me.


Anyway, my rant is done, I don't think that I even made sense, but I just had to get this out or it would be eating at me all night! I guess you could even say, I had to "Blog it Out!" Cliche, I know.

No comments: